Sunday, September 18, 2011

My Husband the Boy Scout

I married a boy scout, in every sense of the word. I'm very proud of that. I like those qualities.

Not only was he an Eagle Scout, but for most of my married life my husband has been very involved in leadership with the Boy Scouts through our church.

Now, let me back up. Our church is a huge supporter of BSA (Boy Scouts of America) and strongly encourages the youth to get their Eagle Scout. As a result, many of them do. MY husband was raised in a different faith, but still got his Eagle Scout, because he just wanted to. I think that says a lot about him. He didn't have to be encouraged and prodded to do it, but he wanted to do it. So it's no wonder that he is frequently been asked by our church leaders to work with the scouting program in various capacities.

Sometimes I think it makes him continue to wish he had a son to share it with someday, and other days I think it gives him the outlet he needs to do boy things.

But recently, as in a couple years ago actually, he was asked to go to Woodbadge training. It was a very long process that involved a lot of training and then a series of goals that he had 18 months to accomplish. It has not been easy. My husband works a lot of hours, has a stressful job, and let's face it, 4 young children at home that are constantly vying for his attention. He had to get an extension at least once, but I'm very proud to say that last week he was finally awarded his Woodbadge and had a beading ceremony at our church.

Here are some photos from the event.




I'm very proud of my husband for all his hard work and persevering when things got hard! It was quite a night keeping the kids all still and entertained. I should also mention that was the same night as the tooth-pulling drama - it was one crazy night!

4 comments:

  1. You are a much better wife than I am. I don't really want Ryan to go to Woodbadge right now. (I guess I'm selfish and if he got to go away for a week, I would consider it a vacation for him and twice as much work for me.) I hope they gave you a certificate too. Oh, and you look great!
    When Ryan got called to work with scouts, I remember thinking, we just had our second set of twins..really? But, even with him gone more than a regular calling, I have seen our lives blessed. And, you are right, it gives them a boy outlet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good. Glad I'm not the only one who struggles with letting them go. Ryan doesn't get paid vacation time and so I'm often a little disgruntled about how much time the scouts get versus me. I tease that if we have another kid, I'm naming him/her scout so that Ryan will take some time off work. I just try to focus on the positive aspects of letting them serve. It is just a little hard to focus on the positive when I'm at home trying to have patience with 4 screamers.

    Way to go for both of you completing this. After reading about his goal setting ect - It did make me lean more towards letting him go sometime in the future. (Maybe in a few years though).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for your husband (and you- very supportive!)

    Will just started in boy scouts. He is a tiger scout this year. We are obviously very early in scouting, but I would love to see him stick with it. The values it enforces are the very values I want to see him carry through life.

    I'm glad that even with four daughters, he has a chance to get in his 'boy time'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what an achievement! I know it is quite hard to get to that level, so you are rightfully proud of him. Oh, I can see those girls are a handful. You look great! BTW I love black and white.

    ReplyDelete