Last week I sent the big girls to musical theater camp. The play of the week was The Wizard of Oz! The camps sell out fast and I had originally gotten them into Aladdin, which was okay. But I knew The Wizard of Oz or Annie would have been top choices. Then we realized our vacation was going to interfere with the Aladdin camp and found out another Wizard of Oz camp had been added so they got switched. The girls were pumped about that.
But I have to admit that Kaitlyn really wasn't pumped at all. I admit I am constantly putting her in things that I think she would enjoy, only for her to scoff at it all and be mad at me for making her do stuff. I've found myself telling her in the last year that I have to make her do everything. I suppose EVERYTHING is a strong word. She likes swim team and gymnastics. But everything else, yep, I make her. It's hard. I don't want to force her to do stuff. But she generally doesn't like anything with structure. But when all my kids are older, they are going to want to fit in and be involved and if they aren't doing things now, then they will be behind later and won't get into whatever it is they are wanting to do. The big girls take piano. I make Kaitlyn. Why? Because I want her to have the ability to read music and play the piano, because later she will probably wish that she had that. I won't make her forever, but this year will be year two. I had them try girl scouts last year. It was okay. I was even the leader. She's not interested in doing it this year, but because I'm the leader and intend on doing it one more year, she doesn't get a choice again. Actually the reason why I want to do it one more year is because last year there was a huge learning curve and I think this year is going to be WAY better than last year for so many reasons AND easier. And Mackenzie wants to do it again. I bribed Kaitlyn to do her gymnastics show last May. My thought is, just try it once and if you don't like it don't do it again. So I gave her $5 to do the show. It all went fine. She is not going to do it again. And I won't give her $5 to do it again either.
So back to the camp. Kaitlyn is a total ham (and so is Mackenzie). She loves to sing, is SO expressive, I just knew this would be fun and a good fit for her. But when I told her I signed her up for the camp, she gave me grief. (Didn't want to take time out of her busy summer schedule of goofing off around the house to get up and go anywhere.) Nonetheless, Mommy need a break so off they went to theater camp last week.
On day 1 the girls came home and both were SO excited! They both got the parts they wanted! Mackenzie would be Glinda the Good Witch of the North, and Kaitlyn would be the Cowardly Lion! They were ecstatic. Mackenzie tends to get really into things, and went over her lines all week long when she was home. She also followed Kaitlyn around all week trying to get her to do lines with her, which probably only made Kaitlyn dig her heels in against doing it. Plus, Kaitlyn does not like to do extra things at home (like practice lines, do homework, practice piano - just not her type thing). Midweek I had Kaitlyn go through her lines. To my surprise, she knew most of them! I was impressed and wasn't worried about it. The next day I picked the girls up and she was in tears. Huge tears! She was nervous about the play the next day. It was like she clammed up and shut down. I couldn't get her to practice when we got home. After much talking, she finally started to work on them. She really had no other option. So while I don't think Kaitlyn is in any way a coward, how ironic that the girl playing the Cowardly Lion was losing her nerve! The very thing her character was seeking!
In the end, she did a great job. The play was really cute. Short and sweet! Mackenzie was absolutely precious as Glinda.
Both girls got to sing a solo! Kaitlyn has decided that she might have liked something like that if she could have just been in the chorus or as a regular cast member. It's too bad because she really can sing and act, but whatever makes her happy, right?
Mackenzie was in hog-heaven. She absolutely loved everything about it. I think Mackenzie will want to do another theater camp last year. And Kaitlyn, well, her heart's desire still lies in art. Why? Because she can express herself and just do whatever she wants.
All in all, Kaitlyn and the Cowardly Lion both found their courage, and my precious Mackenzie got to be the princess, so to speak. They were both adorable!


Okay, I know that I don't actually 'know' your daughters, but through you blog I feel like I do! When I heard the big girls were in drama camp, I thought Kaitlyn would LOVE it! She seems so artistic and expressive-- I thought it would be right up her alley.
ReplyDeleteHearing about her stage fright, I felt for her. I used to get so nervous to have all eyes on me. I was on my high school drill team, but that was fine. I was in a group of girls and we all performed together. The first time I earned a solo, I got so nervous I wanted to back out. Thankfully, my mom pushed me to conquer my fear and keep it. I am so glad she did! I think you are doing the right thing by pushing her a bit now. Once she has tried everything, she can make up her mind about what she does or does not want to continue.
That camp sounds like so much fun! My kids would have loved it-- especially if they got to do Annie!