Friday, August 31, 2012

Vent

I think I can safely say this here. For 13 years I have been a Mary Kay consultant. Five of those years I spent as a Mary Kay Sales Director. I worked very hard to sell my product and build and lead a team of women. People scoffed when I signed on as a consultant - some to my face, some behind my back. Others were just flat out unsupportive. Good friends could not come to a single party (this was back before we all had kids) and many had no interest in just trying my product (which by the way is the #1 selling brand of skin care and cosmetics in America). And you know what? That's all fine. I built my business (yes I BUILT IT) with or without them.

But the thing that continues to resurface after all those years is that some of those same people later have signed on as independent consultants for other things, and they invite me to their own parties, appointments, etc. And sometimes I have gone because I really do want to support my friends, and other times it really irks me and I always wonder do they realize when they invite me what they did (or didn't do) when I invited them? Do they realize that in 13 years they've never bought even one single lipstick from me?

So, that all being said, for the last 6 years I've just been servicing my customers already in place. Nothing recent as far as actively trying to generate new business. But I still know exactly who all never supported me even one little bit. And I can't help but feel a bit resentful when they then want to sell to me. Hopefully they will understand when I politely decline. And I realize that writing this post is probably not going to help me grow my own business in any way, given that in this way I know that I am not being a good leader but I am being petty. Still, I can't help those evil thoughts that sometimes creep in, even when it's about people that I love.

Oh, and it would also be wrong if I didn't mention, there were also MANY friends, co-workers, acquaintances, and total strangers who gave me the benefit of the doubt and helped make me successful during a time that I really needed to have freedom and flexibility (direct sales and leadership) as opposed to a corporate job. I will gladly return the favor to anyone whoever gave me the chance!

2 comments:

  1. You are and always will be my Mary Kay lady, just like Wendy will always be my hair lady. I was actually just thinking about my first experience with makeup just yesterday while putting it on. I remember right before homecoming in high school, my Mom brought me over to your home and gave me a gift of getting my very first real set of make up (purple sparkly lip gloss and blue-ish purple eyeshadow was my norm before that). I remember spending forever sitting at your kitchen table, completely clueless and you helped me to show off my natural beauty with lovely colors. Mary Kay is the best cosmetic product out there. I just wish they didn't change the shape of everything a year or so ago. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete