Some people hit the bottle, others devour ice cream, some people can't get out of bed for days. But I had an epiphany this evening. As I am dealing with several ongoing conflicts (which internally puts me all in knots), I found myself unable to think about anything else other than the latest conflict brought to my attention this afternoon, and I was unable to force myself to make dinner as planned. So I dropped my big girls off at piano and headed straight for the drive-thru to get a Dr. Pepper. Yes, it's my vice, but I never realized before how I actually depend on it as a coping mechanism! I knew it would help put me in a relaxed state, not because of anything chemically in the drink (of course not - it's caffeine!), but because to me Dr.Pepper's are happiness.
And you know what? It worked. After my DP, I came home and started to at least make a simple dinner. I feel much more calm now and will deal with things in the near future.
And what are those conflicts? A contractor doing major work in our house (a room addition) that is a total jerk every time they make a mistake and we are unhappy with it, a girl scout mom that is offended all of a sudden by just about everything, and now an issue at school that I can't go into. Plus an 8-yr-old that refuses to practice piano! At least that I can deal with but it doesn't help.
Thank you Dr.Pepper for taking me to my happy place.
No comments:
Post a Comment