Easter turned out to be a nice and calm weekend. On Good Friday, the weather was a little icky so we decided that would be the perfect day to dye our Easter eggs. Nothing complicated this year. Then the girls spent the rest of the day enjoying some time with NaNaw and PaPa who had driven in from Corpus Christi.
Saturday was our adventure to see the wildflowers which I already put in a separate blog. That night Mike and I even got to get out for dinner. Yea!!
Since General Conference (when the leaders of our church speak world-wide to the members) happened to be on Easter weekend this year, we watched it (or attempted to) on TV in lieu of going to church, and otherwise had another day filled with egg-hunts and family.
After our pancake breakfast, we got the kids dressed and went to the backyard to look for eggs left by the Easter Bunny. I have officially determined that it is extremely hard to photograph children in the middle of an Easter egg hunt as they move at the speed of light!
Ashley was so funny. This is how she was running around the yard, holding her basket out in front with two hands and bending her knees. It kind of looked like she was mowing the lawn.
The big girls were really good about letting the little girls get the easy ones and were even happy to put a few back that they had already picked up. They are TERRIFIC big sisters! They are so good to the little girls!
Isn't this precious? They're both taking off together on the search for more eggs.
And look how everyone stopped. It's like they're about to have a square dance! Grab your partner do-si-do....
Look Mom! All done! Now let's see what we got!
Later that day, PaPa Benny (my dad) came by for a visit, and then we went to MeMe's house for dinner and more egg-hunting with the cousins. We had some more gross moments but since I shared the wildflower moments with you I'll spare you Easter's. Here are all the kids after egg-hunt #2.
I'm pretty sure this picture captured the beginning of what later became an overflowing river of jelly beans. Need more lessons on eating candy.
Then back inside for dessert and an Easter parade. My mom made these bonnets last year for all the girls and they had a great time prancing around the house in them.
Mackenzie was especially proud of her hat because she added a few flowers from my mom's yard. See the rose on the top right? Her own special touch!
The kids got REALLY wild after the egg-hunt. Can you say sugar high? But they all had a great time and we were happy to crash after an exhausting weekend.
And you know what's funny? Remember how I was disappointed that we really hadn't focused on the real meaning of Easter? Well, I DID give the big girls a really big book of Bible stories for Easter (much more detail than anything they've had before) and we have been reading it every night since. It has been so great and I can see their understanding of the scriptures has grown just in one week. Makes me feel so much better and know that we are doing the right thing, even if we did kind of screw up on the day that really mattered. Thanks to those of you who offered words of encouragement! I know we are all trying our best. I think it's the overall picture that matters, not any one particular day.
I agree. What matters is what you do from a day to day basis. I think these Easter egg hunt pictures are precious! So, cute the older girls helping the smaller girls. No such thing will ever happen in our household, even though I must say my daughters can be awfully sweet to one another. They sometimes refer to their cousin in South Africa as their "Big Brother". The funny thing is they have never met him in person!
ReplyDeleteLooks like you all had a fun easter egg hunt!!!
ReplyDeleteOkay, so tell me your secret to getting your big girls to be so helpful with the little ones? Bella is really good with the little twins, sometimes....but Cole is just horrible with them. He's so mean sometimes...and then he wonders why they don't want to play with him. It's a dog-eat-dog world around here!