So here's a couple funny things I wrote down a few months ago and just found so I'll write about this.
Story #1: One of my 5-yr-olds is a collector. Big time. I mean, we're all hoping she doesn't show up on an episode of Hoarders one day. But to protect the innocent due to the nature of this instance, I won't reveal which one it is. So she had a brief phase where she was hiding things in her pants. Like, in her underwear. Just because that was a good hiding spot. So she had something in her underwear one day, don't remember what. Some kind of school supply item that she had gotten at school. So I asked her about it. I asked where she got it. She said from her teacher. And I asked "so your teacher says it's okay?" She says yes. "Then I say, well then why are you hiding it in your underwear. That's disgusting." Her response: "Well, I know it is nasty, but there was no where else to put it." Nice.
Story #2: I think I might have mentioned a time or two that the big girls fight a lot. It's sad actually. We have been trying lately to make them understand that they are part of the same team and that they should be better friends. So a few months ago, they were fighting on the way to gymnastics. What's new? Mackenzie throws Kaitlyn's item (whatever the heck it was that she had to have in the car that day), Kaitlyn starts crying and having a fit, then tattles. So I tell them both no cookie after dinner. After all, all I heard was two kids fighting, whining, crying and tattling. Then Kaitlyn cries even louder and says "But I didn't do anything!" Mackenzie actually fesses up and says that's right, Kaitlyn didn't do anything. I tell Kaitlyn she can still have her cookie. Kaitlyn lets out another big wail and keeps crying. I am extremely confused at this point. I can't win. But I have to dig deeper. I ask "did you hear me?" Her response: "Yes but I'm still upset." ???? More sobbing. "I'm just still upset plus I'm also upset that Mackenzie doesn't get her cookie." Sob sob sob.
So there you have it. 5-yr-olds are actually really funny. They know enough to sometimes say things that make you think they are miniature adults. And then they still don't have a clue or much self-control and you are reminded that just a few years ago they were just babies. But I enjoy this age. As Claire Huxtable once said to Rudy (first episode I think), Yeaaaa Five!
Me too! Cole and Bella are 5 also and I'm really enjoying this stage. The talking back I could do without but they are funny little characters!
ReplyDeleteTell you what...I'll trade you. I'll give you one of mine who picks his nose for the one of yours who sticks down her pants. Not sure which is worse??