Thursday, April 15, 2010

So Proud of Her!

First let me start with some background. The elementary school runs on the quarter system. Last quarter I was so excited that BOTH my big girls won a classroom award. Mackenzie was chosen in her class for the PRO Award (People Respecting Others). I thought what a wonderful honor that she shows respect to those around her! Those are the kinds of awards where you think surely you must be doing something right for her to earn that. Then Kaitlyn won a writer’s award. I was also super proud that her teacher selected one of her writing pieces for an award. And I was MOST happy that both had won an award at the same time, leaving no one feeling mad, jealous or upset. (And they are in separate classes so it wasn’t like it was planned for them to both receive an award.)

So a few weeks later we went to open house. Mackenzie’s teacher informed me that Mackenzie had let her know SHE wanted to win the writer’s award next time. (I guess because she knew Kaitlyn had received it.) So her teacher has been working with her the whole quarter on how to develop her writing skills and elaborate more. I thought what a worthy goal for a 5-year-old to be working toward! So you can imagine I was very excited to learn that she had indeed won the writer’s award this quarter for her class!


So this morning we went early to her award ceremony. And her writing piece was so cute too! I probably won’t get it until the end of school. When I do I’ll share her story. But what made me most proud was not that hers was selected, but because it was a goal she set, worked on, and achieved. And what kindergartner is interested in earning writing awards? Then again, I’m not TOTALLY surprised. She is a complete little bookworm and has always been. I am the proud mom of the girl who’s probably the one in class with her hand up going “oh, oh, oh” about to burst if she doesn’t get to give the answer, while all the other kids are rolling their eyes! But wait, thank goodness they’re only in kindergarten because nobody cares yet.

5 comments:

  1. I think that is so awesome! both girls won different awards and they are in different classes. That is great she loves school and is a bookworm, keep encouraging her. My oldest daughter is now 15 and I keep encouraging her throughout highschool, try to keep her motivated. As a child, she would beg for homework, since her brother was older and always had it.

    Good for you MOM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to your girls and congrats to Mackenzie for working toward her goal and acheiving an award.
    Doesn't it make you feel so good when our kids get awarded.
    Ethan and Ian had alot of struggles at the beginning of school but did so much better when they were seperated.
    This month Ian was awarded Student of The Month. I have his award framed and hanging on his wall in his bedroom. I was so suprised when i heard that and was so proud of how far they have come this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is wonderful!!! I can't even imagine Cole or Bella setting a goal like that for themselves and actually following through.

    And you wrote a post awhile back about squashing their dreams??? Seems like you've done a lot of things right!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kimberly, can you give me your e-mail address? Mine is mzizumbo@yahoo.com. Thanks! Melani

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omigosh-They're so cute AND gifted :) Congrats to your girls.

    ReplyDelete