Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Birthday Postponed and a Lot of Perspective

So I think the stomach virus is finally over. What a weight lifted off my shoulders! Unfortunately, this very unenjoyable bug really screwed up our plans. July 4th – missed. Last swim meet – one missed, one regressed significantly. 6th birthday – one of the birthday girls spent the day crying, vomiting, and writhing in pain with almost no relief, so much so that in the wee hours of the next morning we took her into the ER because Tylenol and Motrin just weren’t doing the trick. Birthday party – rescheduled.

And yet one day later, Kaitlyn was bounding up and eating more with each meal, so much so that we were able to go to the swim team banquet at the end of the day for the girls to get their trophies! So at least we didn’t miss THAT special moment after missing so many others.

And yet, much has happened the last two weeks that has forced me to really try to put things in perspective. A week and a half ago, my aunt Jean had a massive stroke and now has a long, long road ahead of her. We didn’t know if she was going to make it. And yet I was buried under vomiting children and worrying about a birthday party, and whether or not it was going to happen, and if it was, how was I going to get everything together? But those things don’t really seem to matter too much when you are worried about a loved one.

Yesterday a friend shared on Facebook that her niece drowned Sunday after falling into a swimming pool at a family gathering celebrating her 3rd birthday. All I thought of yesterday was this story and how badly I felt for Kaitlyn to be so sick on her birthday and then having to go to the ER. I thought how horrible that was. Even then I was trying to tell myself “that’s just life,” but it doesn’t make me any less disappointed. I HATE for my kids (or myself) to miss out on stuff. I need to remember what’s really important and change my perspective. So after hearing this terrible tragic story, it brings to light how lucky and blessed I am, and how sometimes in life we do get sick, things happen, and we do have to cancel plans. But what I need to remember most and accept is that they are not the end of the world. They are blips in the road on this journey of life but most often they don’t matter in the grand scheme of things.

And then oddly, while I’m full of all these thoughts and counting my blessings, my children were horrible yesterday! I kept going from one minute of trying to give them quality time, something they have all been lacking for nearly 3 weeks, to having to yell at them, discipline them, break up fights, and more fights, and more fights, clean up messes that I thought they were getting too old to make, and on and on. Perhaps my “perspective” helped me get through the day. I don’t know why they were trying me so hard, but they were. And yet, I’m thankful for my healthy, arguing, attention-seeking kids today, happy they are not sick.

We are finally making plans for the rescheduled birthday party this weekend. I can finally get out to order a cake, get party favors, etc.

Should I mention I think the little girls and myself might be getting a cold? But again, perspective. As I said to Kaitlyn today, after what they’ve all been through, what is a little cold? My little darling who makes mountains out of mohills knew exactly what I meant by that and agreed whole-heartedly.

And anyone who feels so obliged, please pray for the family of little Juliette, I believe is her name.

2 comments:

  1. First, thank you for your comment on loosing my brother-in-law.

    Second, I will pray for the family of Juliette, that just gives me a stomach ache thinking of that poor family!

    Perspective is everything and life is really too short. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really a terrible thing to happen to a family! And yes, we should be counting our blessing even though we don't always feel like they are blessings! A colleague of mine lost their five year old son and it is tearing their family apart. Terrible what such an event can do to your life!

    ReplyDelete