Friday, July 16, 2010

Six Years Ago Today


Six years ago my life changed in a way I could never imagine. While I'd love to go into the whole story of their birth, etc., I don't really have time. But I wanted to go back and reflect on that day and share a few pictures of when Kaitlyn and Makcenzie were born and their 11 days in the NICU.

Pretty neat to have more than one sign on your door!

Baby A...Kaitlyn:

They only had to have oxygen for a few hours.  These little bubbles were off by the time I went in to see them.


This was probably the next day or day after.  I didn't see them much those first few days. I was so sick from the c-section and the NICU felt so hot to me.  It made me sick every time I went in there.  Poor things but I knew they were in good hands.


This was the tiniest little bottle and it was bigger than her head.


Sleeping angel.


Oh, "hello!"  I loved this day. I went in one morning and the nurse that day had put tiny little bows in all the baby girls' hair.  Too bad it took me a couple years to finally figure out why our pictures were getting cropped when we print.  Some day I need to go find the negatives and have this fixed because I still remember that tiny purple bow on her head.

Baby B...Mackenzie:

Mackenzie was in a frank breech position.  In other words, butt first. Because of that she had frog legs for the longest time. She would sleep like this!  Mackenzie also screamed so loud when she was born that she popped a hole in her lung which ultimately caused her to come home on a breathing monitor for one month. That kid has some lungs, let me tell ya!  Put her on Broadway cause she's got some volume to her voice!


So sweet.  She doesn't look too bothered by all the wires.  Most of them are just monitors with stickers on them.  If you haven't had a NICU baby, it looks a lot worse than it really is.


So cute.  I thought it was cute how they stuck a little cotton ball on their heads to cover up the IV.  And I was thankful too. That would be hard to look at.  But her little eyes look so sweet here.


Perking up.  Mackenzie was the metamorphosis baby/child until she was about 3 years old. I have never seen a child's looks change so quickly.


Bow day.  You can barely see hers.


The proud parents.


Coming home. I was SO SCARED for them to ride home!  They were just swallowed up by the car seat!

And here they are now...


2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh! That is so sweet. It reminds me of the time we brought the twins home too! We had the exact same car seats. Fortunately my babies were never in the NICU. But they were so tiny as well.

    And look at Kaitlyn and MacKenzie now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I love all the pics! They were so tiny. My sister had twins almost a year ago, they will be 1 August 26th and they were so small!

    ReplyDelete