Sunday, July 4, 2010

Know This Guy?







If you're thinking Uncle Sam, Kaitlyn would tell you otherwise.  The last couple weeks she has seen a few yard decorations with Uncle Sam on them but she calls him the Texas Santa. Hey, not bad I suppose.  Who else would she think he was?


Mike took the big girls to the fireworks which will probably be starting any minute.  I am home with my little ones. Unfortunately we were all psyched to finally take them to the fireworks this year but everything has been against us.  It has already been a low-key day since the 4th is on Sunday this year.  Add to that a hurricane 400 miles south of here dropped a ton of rain on the area and led to many weekend events being canceled.  Those that held I'm sure are very muddy.  And the worst of it all is that Ashley has been throwing up on and off since yesterday.  Poor baby.  I hope she makes it through the night.  Not so lucky last night.  And then Reagan has to pay the price and be forced to sit around the house watching TV while I try not to let Ashley get too riled up. 


This afternoon though Mike took Reagan and the big girls to play outside in the blow up pool (which we have hardly used at all since we are going to swim team all the time).  It made me feel good to know they were outside and having a good time.  And soaking up the sun that we haven't seen all week.












But back to funny things the kids have said recently:


Kaitlyn:


In addition to the Texas Santa, there's "Stop! In the name of the Lord!"
And many of her words she tacks on an "l" at the end.  For example, Draw, Saw, and PaPa all become "Drawl, Sawl, and PaPal."


Mackenzie:


"Why is rain called rain?  Why is a dishwasher called a dishwasher?"  Substitute any word you like here.  I get this question about once a day with a different word each time.


"How does Santa get down the chimney?"  I don't know what it is with Christmas lately. Remember, this is a low-key 4th of July weekend this year, so yesterday to fill the time we put together a gingerbread house we've had since Christmas. 






Ashley: 


When she saw my step-dad in the pool one day she got so excited!  She shouted "Mommy!  Rick is swimming!"  I suppose that doesn't look strange to me since he ran the pool my entire life but to her that was very unusual.


And at the pool this week I had to change her swim diaper in the teeny tiny pool bathroom on the disgusting floor.  I'm not sure which was worse, the floor or her diaper. But there was no where else to do it so I laid her down on top of the tiles.  Her response, like I should know better: "Mommy, I can't swim on this floor.  I can't swim on these squares!" 


And the color green is "greem." I think this might be her favorite color because when she sees something green she starts begging for it but instead of saying what IT is, she starts saying "My greem! My greem!"


And lastly, if I tell her to do something that she doesn't want to do, her response is "No way! No way! No way!"


And Reagan:


She's just Little Miss Talker these days.  She'll repeat anything I say.  Recent funny words and translations include:


Daddy's gobbles (goggles)
Marsh pillows (marshmallows)
Pom corns (She means pom poms but she's confusing the word with popcorn)


And twice now she's told me my nose is dirty (I have quite a few freckles on my nose after all my summers at the pool!).


Well, the popping noises are beginning.  I don't mind the neighbors shooting off the fireworks when it's early but at 11 and 12 tonight when it is still going on and my little ones keep crying I'm going to get really ticked.  Anyway, I guess fireworks will have to wait til next year for the little girls.  Too bad because Reagan was looking really cute and I think she was all set to have a little fun. 






Oh, well.  The quiet house is kind of nice.


Happy 4th of July!  We are blessed to live in the greatest country to have ever existed!




3 comments:

  1. Oh goodness! This had me laughing! "Texas Santa" and "stop in the name of the Lord" are too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the million-and-one questions! It's good to know I'm not the only one out there trying to answer them all! Pretty pictures of the girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love posts like this where you repeat what the girls have said!! They are hilarious!! My 3-yr olds call "goggles" "gobbles" too...makes me laugh every single time!

    We have that same blow-up pool...of course, ours has duct tape all over it because I refuse to pay another $30 for another pool!

    ReplyDelete