Well, here we are. Another year comes to a close. The big girls actually still have a few days next week. But it's been busy. Soccer ends tomorrow. Swim team has began. Recital is over. Awards next week. Fitting everything in while we can. Potty training Ashley. Planning vacations. Year-end parties. But we are winding down too.
The kids have said a few funny things lately. Actually they've said a lot, but I thought I was writing them down and now I can't find them. I found what I thought I was looking for, but I didn't have as much written down as I thought. So did I write them in another place, or not at all?
I'll just share what I remember. I've been so busy with "stuff" I haven't been able to just share the day to day.
We've been listening to Disney songs in the car again. Kaitlyn resurrected them. I thought I was happy we'd moved onto Kids Bop, Hannah Montana, and now the radio (with supervision of course), until I listened closely to this one Hannah Montana song. Children have no business listening to it! Totally inappropriate! I've been trying to figure out how to handle it too. Make an issue over it, thus bringing attention to something they didn't even understand? Or let them listen to it anyway and they'll never know the difference? And if we do that, then won't just another song come along and another and another? Shouldn't we take a stand from the get-go? And she has the words, so I don't want her singing it!
So...luckily, Disney has made it's way back to our car. As long as it's not EVERY time, it makes me happy. Ashley and Reagan have caught on. They've hardly seen any Disney movies, but every song they ask me who's singing and I have to tell them about the movie or the scene. Their favorite song is from Snow White. I imagine you all know it - Heigh Ho!! But they have another name for it - The Dork Song! It cracks me up! They ask for the Dork Song all the time! (In case you're a little slow or by some odd chance unfamiliar, it is the "dwarf" song.)
They wanted me to sing one day some songs for them, but sometimes I don't know what they're talking about it. They kept asking for The Snowman song. What song is that? There's one from church I sang but it wasn't it. And it wasn't Frosty. I don't remember how I figured it out but I finally did. The song they wanted was This Old Man. The Snowman!
One day I bumped Reagan or something. I politely responded, "I'm sorry, Reagan." She replied, "That's okay. I forgive you." What? I think she got that one from her NaNaw.
Yesterday she tried to wash her hands in the kitchen sink. She couldn't reach the faucet. She didn't want to go into the bathroom so she started begging me to turn it on (I was eating at the table and didn't want to get up), "Please...please....por favor!" Thank you Dora for teaching my daughter a second language. :) She actually used it correctly which is what impressed me.
The new question of the last few weeks is..."Why do we always....(insert anything here)?" For example, "Why do we always eat dinner?" "Why do we always have chicken?" "Why do we always go to swim team?" But then they start saying it about anything, no matter how seldom we do it. I went to a 3-month follow up this week with my doctor and they had to come. "Why do we always go to your doctor?" Really? We always do that? I don't think so.
I know Ashley had a million funny things but the only one I can remember is what she said about the potty. She tells me a lot she doesn't like going potty or that she doesn't have any or that it's no fun. But the other day as she realized I wasn't letting her off she said "Oh - the potty is so rude!" Yes, it is. That rude, rude potty. How dare it.
Back to Mackenzie. She thought she was ultra-cool at Field Day. She kept pointing at me and making a big L on her forehead. Thank you First Grade for turning one of my daughters into a pre-teen at age 6. Then she would laugh and say "I just did THIS to my mom!" How did I respond? I just did it right back to her. She seemed to think that was funny.

I'm laughing at the L!
ReplyDeleteMy oldest says "I accept your apology." I guess in his kindergarten class they either say that or "I don't accept your apology" and then the offender has to do something to make it better.
Yeah. This is a busy time of year and you have four babies! So I feel for you. There are a few things my kids also picked up from school that I realized they don't really understand. Some I will just let go, but others I felt had to be addressed and stopped. I think the L on the forehead I would've let go unless she is upsetting others without even understanding! She is so cute!
ReplyDelete