Monday, May 9, 2011

Easter 2011


It was a great Easter this year.  If you remember last year, though we had a good Easter, I was left feeling guilty that we had missed the mark on teaching our children about the resurrection.  Don't get me wrong - we told them, we read a few books, they KNEW.  But what we showed seemed to be something otherwise.  Feel free to read last year's post-Easter blog:  http://twosetsallgirls.blogspot.com/2010/04/am-i-only-one-that-doesn-have-it.html.

This year I was determined to have a more Christ-centered Easter.  Luckily, a friend recommended a book to me...A Christ-Centered Easter.  And luckily the little girls are 3 instead of 2. I won't lie - that makes a huge difference - both in my ability to prepare and go above and beyond anything I would have done otherwise, and in their ability to participate.

But back to the book - How about that? I ordered it on rush and it gave me a spring board with which to start.  Beginning Palm Sunday we basically had a Familiy Home Evening - a lesson, activity, and treat - every single night through Easter. I'm going to tell you it wasn't easy.  I had some Easter crafts planned that never happened, because I couldn't do everything and decided this was more important.

I can't tell you the difference it made this year.  And we ALL learned something.  A lot actually.  And by some miracle the little ones were semi-attentive as well.  We even made this timeline of events leading up to the crucifixion and resurrection.  We added a new picture each day, and keeping it plain sight kept the real reason on the forefront of our minds.



And of course we dyed eggs:



And of course the Easter Bunny came too:





Someone in particular is always making it hard for me to get her picture:




Yummy Easter dinner followed by another egg hunt at my mom's:



Two cuties and their chipettes from MeMe:



Cousins - we must have tried forever to get them all to smile. This one came pretty close!


We had a great Easter! Hope everyone else did too!

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to check out that book! I would love for my family to focus on the true meaning of Easter. We love the Easter bunny, but Will is old enough now that we need to focus more on Jesus and less on the bunny.
    On a side note, your girls are just gorgeous. I love their dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have SUCH a darling family! I love the idea of doing an FHE each night through Easter--what a great idea. I have felt that same way--I'll have to check out that book next year.

    ReplyDelete