The funny things said around here just keep coming. I think that's what's so fun about the preschool age.
Recently,
Ashley:
I'm a pretty calm driver. But I can see how people get road rage too. I'm an impatient person. This was the second similar comment I heard from my little girls. I was trying to get through the break in the carpool line (carpool line should be a whole post in and of itself), and someone was edging in trying to close the break because they thought I was cutting. Just going through like everyone else does that's trying to get through. I don't remember exactly what I said but it was probably something like "Come on, lady!" That's when Ashley said, "They're stupid." Me: "We don't call other people stupid." Ashley: "We do when they don't let us in."
Ashley has been trying me lately. I'm not going to say she's an easy child. She's not easy at all. But she's still a good kid. Nevertheless, her newest thing is when she doesn't get her way about something, often at mealtime, she shuts off all the kitchen lights on everybody and announces "The kitchen is closed!"
She also sings all the time. She has been doing this for quite some time now. She sings songs off the radio and everything that she hears. And she sings vibrato. So funny. (Big sister Kaitlyn does that too.) In fact, she's singing at this very moment. She even was singing scales the other day and singing the word "Minnie" over and over and then "Daisy." I don't know where she learned how to do a scale. But when she's not getting her way she sings to the tune of Hey Soul Sister "Hey Bad Mommy...." And all the other kids think it's just hilarious.
Reagan:
Recently we threw a surprise 40th birthday party for my sister-in-law. Right as the guests started arriving Reagan ran off and insisted on putting on one of her princess dresses. I was trying to convince her to stay in her normal clothes and she replied, "But I want to put on my Belle dress so everyone can see that I'm so beautiful." I caved.
She also keeps asking when they want to watch a TV show, "What are our chances?" (She means "choices.")
All the kids:
Mackenzie was stirring the pot trying to get everyone riled up the other day, on the way to church no less, and I said "Mackenzie, quit being so nasty to everybody!" From the back row of the van we hear Reagan "Nasty, nasty, nasty!" Ashley chimed in (in the nanny boo boo song tune) "Mackenzie is nasty...Mackenzie is nasty...." Of course we told everybody to stop but it was funny.
Mackenzie:
She had us all really cracking up the other day. Mackenzie's memory and recall are phenomenal. I think any student would love to have her gift. She was telling us all kinds of things. Going on and on about all the books she reads. Then PaPa asks her, "What's the longest day of the year?" We're all sitting there with blank looks on our faces. We're all pretty smart and none of us had a clue what he was talking about. Mackenzie shouts out, "The summer solstice!" Like, how could you even ask me that? That was so easy!
She told me recently, after much trying to persuade me to do something she wanted and not getting anywhere, "Mom, I want my life back." I laughed right in her face. It's okay - she knew she was being funny. I made sure she knew that her life is still mine for the time being. Too much Disney shows.
Then she and Kaitlyn decided to settle something via rock/paper/scissors. Both agreed that's how they would decide. I hear "1, 2, 3, ......." Then "OK, let's pretend that never happened." She is a tricky little thing.
Kaitlyn:
Last but not least....we went to Fort Worth 2 weeks ago and stayed in a hotel. The next morning I felt a little person in my face. I opened my eyes and Kaitlyn said "Now I see why you put on makeup every day."
My children are just lovely. Such nice remarks they all have. But truthfully, brothers and sisters are like that. Sibling rivalry is normal and just part of growing up. I think as long as I continue to stress to them how to treat others, and also model that in my own life, as well as taking them to church and teaching them Christlike values, that they will all turn out okay in the end. And they seem to treat their classmates and teachers with respect even if they are not as nice at home. As for all the funny remarks, they are funny because they really are just being kids.
They might make us crazy but they also keep us laughing!
(Above photo is of Kaitlyn, Reagan and Ashley, all huddled together for our much-needed thunderstorm that we had, watching the lightning and screaming with every thunder.)
I love it!
ReplyDeleteThey are at such a great age for learning new things and trying out new phrases! Ashley's comment about people not letting you in is perfect! There should be an exception for using mean names then.
As for Kaitlyn's lovely makeup comment... Well, kids keep us humble, don't they ;-)
You're right, sisters argue and say mean (and sometimes funny) things to each other, but you know they love each other.
They are all too funny!!! Mackenzie sounds like she can match my Bella in sarcasm and wit!!
ReplyDelete