Saturday, May 8, 2010

Remembering Wanting to Be a Mom

Mother's Day is always a bit bittersweet for me. Don't get me wrong - it's just like I always imagined, with the exception of those 3 years that I wanted nothing more than to be a mom and it wasn't happening. Every Mother's Day I can't help but remember the heartache and sadness I used to feel on Mother's Day.

I would sit in church and watch all the primary children sing songs to their Mothers, while I sat there trying to hold back the tears and quit feeling sorry for myself. And then they would pass out flowers to all the women, mothers or not, but the truth is that didn't make me feel any better. It seemed silly that I even got one. So while I am relieved and thankful beyond measure that I no longer have that hole in my heart, every year I think about all the wanna-be moms whose hearts are aching on that day. It's a heavy pill to swallow when righteous desires are sometimes unfulfilled, but I know that each of us is blessed for our righteous desires, whether we see them come to fruition or not.

So to all the wanna-be moms on Mothers Day. Hang in there. You are not alone, and rich blessings are in store for you!

And to all the mothers who sacrifice day in and day out, making their lives not their own anymore but their children's, may we each be blessed with a little rest and relaxation and some appreciation for the hardest job in the world.

Happy Mother's Day!

4 comments:

  1. This is beautifully written! :)

    Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. I think often of those times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto to what Melani said - this is beautifully written.

    Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day with your precious girls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though it seems like it was a lifetime ago, I remember feeling the same exact way!!

    Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day! We are so blessed, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete