Tuesday, May 18, 2010

There's Nothing Like a Little Girl (or two) In a Dance Recital

I think there is nothing quite like seeing your little girls in a dance recital!  I think that two years in a row they have been my favorite memories of parenting.  They're just so tiny!  But they're trying to do such a big thing!  They were MUCH improved over last year.  Last year they were precious as could be but had a very young class and not many of them knew what they were doing.  This year it was amazing to watch them actually know what was going on.

For ballet they were fairies and danced to this song from one of the Tinkerbell movies.  I have to tell you, I thought it was no big deal until the last few weeks leading up to the recital.  I had no idea they were bringing in some of the high school girls to dance the second part of the song.  Our little fairies all sat so quietly while these other girls danced to the most gorgeous music!  I never heard that part of the music until the last 2 weeks and when I watched both at rehearsal and at the recital I was holding back the tears from my eyes because it was so pretty.  I don't get teary at many things but when I do it is usually because of music or children.  Combine them both and I turn into a different person.  But otherwise I am generally pretty insensitive when it comes to stuff like that.  So here are my little fairies...





Mackenzie got to be the center girl in front of her flower and call out the other fairies to join in....


Kaitlyn...


For tap they were flight attendants and danced to "Come Fly With Me" by Michael Buble. I love the color of their costumes!


Mackenzie once again had a great "job" for her part. Every girl had a different prop.  Several pulled suitcases and a few had some random items, but Mackenzie got to push the beverage cart.  She had lots of extra stage time pushing it all around and at the very end she and a couple other girls got to go up to the front of the stage and throw pretzels into the audience!


Kaitlyn's part was kind of funny.  She got to carry this homemade air mask.  So twice she made her entrance/exit, turned, and held it up to her face for a second.  I was worried she would feel slighted for not getting one of the big items but she was very happy to do her part!


Here we are after it was over.  For two years in a row their favorite part was not performing but getting flowers from their daddy. 

Afterwards we went to eat at Razzoo's.  Yummy cajun.  I hadn't been there in a long time.  We went with all our family members.  The little girls stayed at home with a babysitter.  I must admit it was really fun to take the big girls to a decent restaurant and just enjoy eating out. 

They had a great time. Mackenzie is definitely going to continue on in dance. It seems to be her thing. Kaitlyn I'm not so sure. Kaitlyn has a lot of potential in anything she tries, but right now she just wants to be a silly 5-yr-old. So I don't know - it may be her last recital. (Sniff, sniff.) But ultimately I want her to find her niche, so we will continue to try lots of things until she finds what she loves most.  Right now her goal is to be a rock star and to be rich!

2 comments:

  1. Your girls are so pretty and I cannot believe how grown up they look! I have to admit that I always say I won't pressure the kids into any activities and I'll just follow their lead with whatever they are interested in. However, as soon as I found out I was having 3 girls, I started thinking about dance recitals. If none ever dance, I will be a little sad. Sounds like you have many recitals ahead!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're all gorgeous and it looks like such a great time!!! I love that you're letting them each try their own thing...we've gone through t-ball, ballet, gymnastics, soccer and other various things. Each of the kids has yet to really find their thing yet, except Cole really does love soccer and he's very good at it. I wish Bella would get more into dance but then I realize that would be more for me than for her...LOL!

    ReplyDelete