Monday, November 15, 2010

Aggie Game!

Last weekend Mike and I took the big girls to their first Aggie game!  This was a big deal for me.  First of all, I was a big time Aggie but I married a Horned Frog.  An ex-football player at that.  Because of that, TCU dominates in this house.  Plus, and I know you other moms can relate, who has time to follow football when you have 4 young children to deal with.  So TCU trumps A&M around here and I shrug it off but the real truth is that I don't like it.  We've also taken the girls to quite a few TCU games but never A&M because as big as TCU is, A&M is so much bigger.  A lot more walking, both to the stadium, and up to the stands, and then you're crammed in like sardines with 80,000 people, unable to move very much for 3+ hours.  So we've known they couldn't handle it and we haven't had any willing babysitters to watch all 4 kids for an entire day.  And his parents we use up babysitting the little girls so we can go to his TCU games. 

So that is the background.  But finally we went back to my beloved Aggieland!  It's so fun to go back and reminisce.  It's probably 1 of 2 times I would love to go back and relive.  But my girls have no affiliation with it at all.  I also come from a t-sip family (Longhorns) so everyone has taught my girls to say dumb stuff like "Boo Aggies!"  Luckily, one of their teachers this year is a big-time Aggie.  They were excited to tell her about going to the game and I think they finally can identify with being an Aggie a bit. 

Don't worry, I'm no fool.  Exposing them to A&M doesn't mean they're going to go there.  I was raised a UT fan all my life (my dad also an ex-player) but when push come to shove I went to the rival school!  But still, it's nice to share it with my girls.

Here we are on the quad waiting for march-in...



 Aggie band just after step-off...



Kid zone...





A perfect shot of Kyle field...



The best band in all of college football...The Fightin' Texas Aggie Band!  It's true - we never lose a halftime!  Still pictures don't do it justice.



Now the game was almost perfect, except that when the sun went down it was freezing!  Even got Mike to put on my Aggie jacket (which is a Men's Large for some reason - my dad gave it to me and apparently has no idea that I'm a girl or that I'm thin.)  Anyway, I had to capture that because it's probably a once in a lifetime moment.  Kind of like my own dad doing a Gig'em at my wedding!



We finished it off with an awesome win over OU!!!  A&M was the powerhouse of the Southwest Conference when I went to school there.  They moved to the Big 12 the next year and have been a very mediocre team for the last 15 years.  So hard for all us Aggie fans who remember when we won everything!  This year we have beaten Tech, OU, and now Baylor (who for some reason is beating everyone in the Big 12 South) and that OU game was unbelievable.  It feels good! 

But now I'm home and back to real life where I don't have time to watch football games.  Still, hoping for a big win over the Longhorns on Thanksgiving!  And hoping my girls will be cheering with me.

So, at the end of the day, it's not really about football and it's not really even about sharing it with my girls. It's about going back and remembering a time filled with such fun memories!  Ahhh...to be young again!

No comments:

Post a Comment