Friday, November 12, 2010

Frogs and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails...and Grubworms

That's what one of my little girls is made of.

No need for boys.  Kaitlyn makes a fine tomboy!  (Other than her lyrical dancing, soft singing, and her baby nurturing.)

So yesterday she tells me on the way home from school she found a grubworm and brought it home.  I kind of ignored her.  Just because she's always finding stuff on the playground and bringing it home.  She's brought home bugs before.  But they're always in some kind of old water bottle or something.  I'm always throwing stuff out that I find in her backpack.  Sticks, acorns, rocks, etc.  She is a big-time collector!

Anyway, so I forgot about the grubworm. Then last night as she's going to bed and I'm just about to go make her lunch, she lets me know that the grubworm is in her lunchbox along with some roots and stuff.  Are you kidding me?  Let me go throw up really quick!  Gag!!!

Sure enough, it was at least in the bottom compartment, but there it was in her lunchbox.  And the poor grubworm - he had to be sacrificed.

What I had been meaning to blog about around a month ago and then never did is how our neighborhood has been attacked by wild hogs at night! It's been going on for about 3 years but never on our street.  Well, finally the neighborhood put up a couple of fences in a few trouble spots and all it did was send them through other openings.  About the same time we had new mulch put down and the hogs decided they liked our house!  The hogs are primarily after grubworms.  It started out small but then it was no longer just running through our dirt anymore.  They started uprooting many of the roots of our bushes and plants and flipping over our landscaping stones!




Quite a nuissance they were!  I was really afraid that one morning we were going to get up and our whole lawn would be torn up like a few of the houses around us.  More and more houses were getting hit.  But the fences slowly kept going up in more places.  (We have a creek that runs around the back of our neighborhood section with quite a few openings.)  Anyway, I think they finally closed up all the spots because the digging seems to have stopped.  So that has been fun.  It's made the news quite a few times.

But the only thing you can do is treat your yard for grubworms and hope it works.  Of all the things Kaitlyn brought home! I told her I couldn't exactly throw it out into the yard!!  Unless it consists of John Travolta and Tim Allen like in the movie, no more wild hogs around here please!  Or grubworms in a lunchbox!  Guess who's having hot lunch today?

1 comment:

  1. Eeeeewwwww, I would've puked if I had seen a worm in my kids' lunchboxes!!! I can't believe you have wild hogs who roam the neighborhood! They really did a number on your walkway!! Darn hogs!

    ReplyDelete