Saturday, March 5, 2011

More Funnies...

More on my funny kids...this time it's the little girls...
Ashley sings all the time.  Loudly.  Most are nursery songs, but her latest song that she’s picked up is “Hey Soul Sister…” I think it’s on Kaitlyn’s new Kidz Bop CD. It’s funny. She seems too young to have just picked that up. (Then again, ALL my kids sing Celebration, Somebody’s Watching Me (odd – I know – It was a happy meal CD or something) and my personal favorite All the Single Ladies!  We really rock the minivan when that one is on and all 5 girlies are singing!) 

She also likes to play this little game all of a sudden where she sings part of a song and you fill in the blanks when she stops!
As cute as all that is, she has also really been a pill lately.  She’s in a phase of not minding….pretty much all the time.  It’s been hard to discipline her. I’ll admit, timeout works way better than spanking, but sometimes I don’t want to fool with timeout, so then I’ll spank her.  A few months ago she started responding when I said she was going to get a spanking, “Yea! I love spankings!”  Then she started saying it about timeout too. 
Last month she kept playing in the water in the sink and she got in HUGE trouble, especially after she kept going back and doing it more and getting water everywhere.  I finally sat her down and explained how I didn’t want to yell at her or spank her or any of that and before I went on, she looked at me and said as cooly as she could, “I didn’t care.”  What?  How can she just have turned 3?  Man, girls sure know how to whip out the attitude!
That reminds me…did I ever write about the wild hogs that were getting into our yard?  I don’t think I did and it was a huge mess but it could have been much worse. Anyway, the problem has finally been resolved, but at the time, the little girls saw the mess one day the hogs made.  Ashley exclaimed that I needed to put them in time out! And then Reagan followed with “yeah – you need to give them a spanking!”  Isn’t that quite the visual?  If only getting rid of them were that simple.

Speaking of animals, Ashley roars at people, and the dog, when she gets mad.  It's really loud.  "ROAR!!!!!!"  Though I guess that is a better way of expressing her anger than hitting.

And this is just hilarious.  While she is working on potty training, a few weeks ago at church they had this babysitting date night.  When we went to pick her up, she begged me to change her diaper (which had already been done.)  She told me later that she didn't want them to do it because they didn't ask her if they could.  She said "you have to ASK to change my diaper."  Really?  Oh Ashley - may we all please change your diaper?  Please let us! We want nothing more than to change diapers, especially yours! 

And a few weeks ago we went to a new park.  There were some boys there, probably about 4 years old.  She marched right  up to them and said "Hey guys!  My name's Ashley, and guys, there's a tunnel for me to crawl!"  Boy, how confident and talkative of her!

In the meantime, Reagan has become the most chatty little person!  And she has the cutest little voice. She talks like a little mouse. But a couple cute things she’s said lately…

At the beginning of winter, it was really cold and we were driving in the car on a very sunny morning.  She said, “It’s winter now, but it’s still summer on my eyes!”  I love the funny stuff like that that kids come up with.
Plus every time she sees Snoopy she calls him “Snoofy.” 

She has been calling her sisters for over a year now Mackenzie and "Makaiklyn."  I guess she only puts the "Ma" in front of it when she calls them both. Otherwise it's just "Kaiklyn."

And every once in a while the little girls are both amazed at their hands when they get out of the bathtub. Ashley used to really be bothered by it but I guess she’s finally gotten used to it.  Ashley said one day after they’d dried out I guess, “My hands not all porny anymore!”  I guess that’s supposed to be pruny, but something sounds a little perverted about her word choice!  And now Reagan shows me that her hands are all “sprinkly” instead of “wrinkly.”

She keeps talking about her "belly belly" too.  Her belly-button.
She did give me a bit of attitude the other day. She got in trouble and I had told her no dessert after dinner.  She stood straight up and screamed, "Fine, Mommy!"  Whoa!  I wasn't expecting THAT.  I guess it's gotta start sometime.

But in general, I love this stage as far as how they talk.  Kaitlyn at this age talked like a munchkin/troll.  It lasted for about 2 years. It was like she forgot how to use her regular voice.  Glad to know that they grow out of things sometimes. And yet other things I want to capture in a bottle.

Oh, and one last thing.  They talked about families in the nursery at church the other day.  They asked all the kids how many brothers and sisters they all had.  BOTH Ashley and Reagan answered that they have 2 sisters.  After much thought about this, I'm pretty sure they are referring to their older sisters because I always refer to them as "their sisters."  But I usually talk to them together so the word sister never comes up between the two of them.  So we have been having lessons around here about our family and who everybody is.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh! I feel your pain! When one of my daughters was 3, I would put her in time-out. She would say "Thank you, Mummy!" over and over again. It drove me CRAZY!

    Funny little girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what an age! They break out the adorable comments and that unique little perspective on the world, but they also learn how to push Mommy's buttons! Why can't we get the good and avoid the bad? Overall this is a fun age, watching them change from babies to kids. Fun, but frustrating!

    ReplyDelete