Monday, March 28, 2011

Sunday Pancakes

I always wonder how people have all these family traditions.  I don't think you can just make them happen. Well, maybe you can, but it seems to me that the best ones are the ones that weren't meant to happen.

So all school year it seems, we have been having pancakes for lunch every Sunday after church.  We did it a few weeks in a row and the kids liked it so much it just became a regular thing.  Quickly they started asking every week when we drove home if we could have pancakes.  Now it's become a tradition! 

At first they would ask on the way home, then they would announce as they came out of church "time for pancakes," and now the little girls are announcing it the minute I get them from the nursery.  At least they are all excited about church!


Mike is the pancake cook, and I am the bacon/sausage cook.  It's definitely not the healthiest meal but perhaps one of the most memorable when they look back on it one day.


2 comments:

  1. We do Sunday pancakes also!! I love that the kids now look forward to it. One unhealthy meal never killed anyone. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is awesome to have a family thing that all the kids look forward to. Trust me, when they are older, they will remember the Sunday Pancakes. We used to have Split Pea Soup with this awesome bread my dad would make. We would sit at the table and eat our "travellers special" (this is what the soup is called on the menu where it is actually served) and we would pretend to be a traveller, stopping for dinner and make up a story to go with who we were. We did this when I was a teenager and I can still remember doing it. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete