Saturday, March 19, 2011

Trip to the E.R.

Well, it's official.  All 4 of my kids have now had their own visit to the E.R.  That being said, I am thankful that NONE of them have been anything scary.  I've had many more scary things happen at home that I ultimately decided they would be okay.

Mackenzie went once for throwing up so horribly.  Kaitlyn went this summer on her birthday for throwing up and such bad headache - she too just needed some stronger medication.  Ashley's toe this summer swelled up like a balloon one Saturday night from an apparent infection. So all 3 were weekend visits - otherwise we would have just gone to the pedi.

But last week I was minding my own business, the kids were even behaving just fine, and I was just about to go start making dinner when Reagan started screaming.  The usual "I just got hurt really bad" scream. But still not TOO alarming.  Sure enough she had a bloody eyebrow.


Apparently she walked into the counter.  That's it. But it did seem to be split open.  I went back and forth on whether I should take her in.  I ultimately was worried that it WOULD need stitches and then I did nothing about it and she has a funky eyebrow the rest of her life. We can't have that! One day she will be a grown woman and hold it against me that I didn't get her eyebrow fixed and now she looks like one-eyed Willie!  (For you Goonies fans out there!)

So...thank goodness my mom lives close by.  If I would have had to take all 4 kids with me to the E.R. I might have made a different decision. 

But off we went.

She was a model-patient. (Her main concern was that they just don't put "holes in her legs," also known as shots which she had not too long ago.)  In fact, by the time we left she wasn't even crying anymore so it made taking her really easy.  I suppose that explains why I was able to get so many pictures.

The numbing process...



A clown gown and some gloves of her own....



She got wrapped up like a taco!  (I couldn't believe how much that reminded me of taking her home from the hospital!  There's my baby, only BIGGER!)



After much deliberation on the doctor's part and a determined "difficult" cut to mend, they went with some glue.  Glad we went to the real E.R. and not the clinic - apparently this would have been really easy to botch according to the doctor.  And glad we got a good doctor who cared.

The finale....tah dah!


All went okay.  I laughed - I told my mom when it was over that going to the E.R. with her for 2 1/2 hours was easier than just the normal evening at home cooking dinner and all the normal routine.

3 comments:

  1. Glad she's okay. We had to take Will to the ER for a nearly identical cut. Unfortunately, we were not a lucky as you. Will was a terrible patient! Screaming, crying fighting the nurses and doctor. They tried the glue, but we couldn't hold him still long enough for it to set. Instead he got 8 stitches and I got the torture of taking him back to have them removed.

    The ER does remind us how lucky we are. I have never been there for anything awful (regarding my children at least.) Believe me I'm knocking on wood as I type that. Here's hoping neither of us ever has to experience that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad she is doing OK. Caramel was also glued back together again about a year ago and fortunately the scar is not very noticeable. Our kids keep us on the edge of our seats; that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh....I'm all too familiar with those ER visits too. And the mental dialogue you have with yourself prior to actually driving there is enough to make you go insane, am I right?

    "Should I take her? Well, I could wait but then what if the cut is deeper than it looks? But it actually doesn't look too bad so maybe I should just wait. But if I wait, what if I should've taken her and then it scars?"

    So glad she's okay....she looks so cute as a little taco!!!

    ReplyDelete