Sunday, July 31, 2011

Precious Gifts

For Kaitlyn and Mackenzie's birthday, there was of course no shortage of gifts. I've actually been clearing out and donating stuff this summer. I think in America we just have so much excess. I know we do (and yet oddly can't pay for it!).  But it feels good to clear things out and simplify. Anything to simplify my life is a good thing.

Okay I've gone completely on a tangent that really doesn't even make sense. We have a ton of stuff and just got more.

Out of all the gifts, Mackenzie said her favorite thing was her peace sign latchhook and her Hannah Montana doll.  (She is really into Hannah Montana, peace signs, monkeys, and kitties right now.)



Kaitlyn said her favorites were all the art gifts. You definitely can't go wrong there.  Kaitlyn is really into art and puppies.  Puppies, puppies, and more puppies.  She cannot have enough.  Oh, I think she really liked her new baby doll too. It bounces up and down. It IS pretty cute.



But a couple things stood in out in my mind.  Kaitlyn made, as usual, many presents for Mackenzie. Let's just say Mackenzie has a greater appreciation for store-bought gifts rather than say homemade, but if it's the thought that counts, then Kaitlyn is the best gift-giver/maker ever.  She made picture frames (out of cardstock paper) with artwork included, an enormous paper airplane (out of nine sheets of paper - how she taped it all and still made the aerodynamics so good amaze me), and a heartfelt card with a birthday poem she made up.  She truly is a giver.



And then there were the gifts that came with NaNaw and PaPa from Corpus Christi.  The girls' 90-something GREAT grandmother, Granny Janak, MADE these bells at her retirement center!  I'm not really sure what we will do with these but I hope they will be treasured and taken care of forever.  Is that not priceless?  Must have been the activity of the day (too funny and too cute) but I think they are just awesome.  More than any money could ever buy.


3 comments:

  1. yes, our b-day season is just about to begin and I am dreading the flood of gifts. As I look around their playroom I know that we do not need one more thing, but I know we'll get tons more. oh well.

    I love Kaitlyn's hand-made gifts for her sister. What a sweet girl!

    Those bells are awesome! Definitely a craft project from the retirement home, but so special for your girls to have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to the Girls. Looks like they had a wonderful day and some great gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a mother of 2 sets of twins too! My girls are 8 and my boys are 20 months. We are so blessed! Happy birthday to your girls and I am at http://www.ahappyheartblog.blogspot.com or you can find me through the blogger profile. Michelle :)

    ReplyDelete