Instead of hauling it all the way to Mobile, AL, this year the dance competition was in convenient and lovely San Antonio! So we got to head down in the middle of all the September craziness for a weekend on the Riverwalk (though mostly at the convention center). The first night we went right after school and met everybody for dinner on the Riverwalk. It was neat seeing it all lit up for Christmas.
I wasn't expecting our hotel room view to be right across from the Tower of Americas and the Alamodome!
The next morning it was up and at 'em and Mackenzie worked SO HARD in all her classes. She was selected quite a few times to perform at the end. I was definitely proud of how focused she was and I know she stood out to many who were watching.
I also could not have been more proud of her and her friend Julia for their fabulous performance of their duet, Elegance from Hello Dolly. The two have gotten together what seemed like countless times and we all worked very hard to clean this dance and get it together. Their performance was the best I'd seen it and it was really cute. I was definitely proud of these girls! They won a 2nd place score and had to compete in the Pre-Teen category (as opposed to the younger Junior category). Way to go, girls!
Next they had to change quickly for their junior company jazz dance to Downtown. They also did a great job - the group scored a 1st place score (it is more like a rating, not a place) in the Pre-Teen category. It is fun to watch these girls become better and better dancers every year. And such a fun dance to watch!
The whole company took home many awards. These are just the plaques they got for their scores. Trophies for some were awarded on the 2nd night.
And while the competition continued, how fun that I ran into one of my own former dance team friends, Cristie! It was great to see her and catch up. I don't think I'd seen her in person since we left A&M. And to think we run into each other at a dance convention for our daughters!
The trip was a success and we'll be going back next December to do it again! It was hard going in December but I'd take the 3-hour drive to San Antonio any time of year over the 9-hour bus ride to Mobile! And our big dance competition every year in high school was also in San Antonio and the whole team would go to the Riverwalk to have fun when it was all over! The irony!

No comments:
Post a Comment